Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Saints Inc. & The Shop Car Show

TOTALLY WORTH THE GAS I SPENT GETTING UP THERE AND BACK.

So this weekend I had a chance to plan for and attend the in-game event up at Spider Hill in north Sector 1. The awesome thing about this is I was planning on attending the show, but was dreading the gallop up there on my horse. lol. So I buckled down and started crafting towards a goal of getting my motorcycle done in time. It finished crafting literally 20 minutes before I wanted to get on the road.

How awesome is this game? The one major thing I totally dig about this game, and what makes me want to buy a round for the developers... Is everything has importance. Crafting a faster mount means A LOT. Especially since there is no fast travel, and the game world is incredibly huge and wide open. If your planning on attending a player event that is located in the northern part of the Sector your in, you actually need to plan for it. Do I have the correct feed, or gas to make it there, and back even? I am so glad that there is a game out there that pretty much says "Hey, you want this? You are gonna need to invest some time and effort to get it buddy". This even applies to something so simple as traveling across the game world to get to a destination.

I haven't planned this much and experienced this type of immersion in a game since SWG, leaving my player house in Talus to go stock my store outside Theed city limits with newly crafted items. Going to the shuttleport in town, flying to a starport, taking the starport, getting on my speeder and driving to my vendor house etc...

I honestly think this immersion is deeper for me. Since I took it steps further to plan ahead and finish my motorcycle craft for the long distance. Checked and stocked up on gas. And then actually planned my route to a place I had never been before. Not to mention on the 30+ minute drive from Odenville (weakbotanical farming lol). Stopping along the way to car salvage, muliple salvage spawns. Killing the annoying BladeDancer shooting me in my back. Man. I literally felt like I was on a road trip. Listening to PostApoc radio on the way too. lol. I am literally having a blast with this game. More on this in a later post today.

The only thing I cringe on about this game lately is usually not the game itself. But constantly reading the player reactions to this immersion. The I want the PRIZE NOW, or how is end game? or how do I store my mount, or how do we travel bweteen towns faster? (after being told that you have to actually travel, they retort LAME, this game sucks). I really am saddened at the trouble that the instant gratification kids who come from games like WoW are having with this game. If they would only slow down. Read. And enjoy this fantastic and different atmosphere of a game. They might just actually enjoy the journey and events they experience in the game.

Now, onto some pictures of the car show. I had to bail early since I didn't quite plan ahead and bring enough materials out of my barter vault to keep my crafting cue going... Next one of these shows, I shall have my buggy completed. Thanks for putting this on. And in all honesty, I have never been into actual roleplay in any MMO to date, and I had a tough time RP'n anything fantasy with my old pen and paper group back in the day. But I can totally see myself opening up to some wasteland RP. It just appeals to me on so many more levels. But who knows.











No comments:

Post a Comment