Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Where the Hell am I?

FALLEN EARTH?


So, I finally took the plunge. I had been on the fence for quite a while. I did apply to the beta, but I have a feeling I wasn't that appealing to their selection process. All dust trails now tho.


This game has been on my radar for some time. But I never gave it the due I should of. I might have saved a bunch of time in my previous mmo experience the last two months+. The number one thing I love about this game, and the thing I hope that stays the same... Is it's Indie Developer feel. The whole CCP thing comes to mind.


The way this game feels is something similar to Pre-NGE (even preCU) SWG. With people at the helm like Raph Koster with his out of the box thinking. To create a game world. Let the players learn the toolset, and then have them shape the world. It was sad that the design was tied to the IP that was Star Wars. Because it was that very reason the game was changed dramatically in my opinion. It was taken away from its creative roots and pushed into a hyped up Corporate Money Making Mold. I find it kind of funny, that its been Corporate America in general that has let more people down in the last decade than any other group of people. All because of greed. Profit. Corporate paper pushers and bean counters wanted WoW type results with a time tested IP like Star Wars. So they forced the creators hands. I know what I am saying here is speculation, but ask yourselves... How many of the launch developers of SWG still work for SOE?


Back to Apocalypse!


So, when I finally started to do some research on this game, since it has been live for less than two months. I was pretty much blown away. But I wasn't convinced until I was able to check out a few of the podCasts from LifeNet. These guys pretty much gave me the incentive to get off my ass, shell out the $50 and load the game.


The screen shot above was the first character I created, Twelve Pack. Thought it was a fitting name, for my idea of a rebooted society. I sure as hell would expect to meet some crazy named wastelanders. I got him to level 4 I think. But I was trying out the different aspects of the game, and wanted to see the benefits of a solo leveling experience from a melee, or a ranged perspective. So I put points into Rifle, Melee and Pistol. Once I got the info I wanted, I shelved him and restarted.



This is Steel Toe. He's of mixed Indian decent I think, cause thats what the random generator ended up with in body style. Although I did remove a majority of the vanity tat's and crap. This is him on his long trek back from Pass Chris in Sector 1, heading to Mumford to finish that town off. I left from Kingman at level 10 hoping to get to do the last part of the ATV questline. Nope. Not old enough lol. So the long haul back to knock out that towns quests.


So tonight, here is where I sit in North Burb. Level 11 w/220AP. I am maxing my crafting tradeskills as I can each level. But I am going a melee build. High Armor, Dodge, Melee and Strength, Endurance, Coordination. I plan on using this guy to get to max level, and be able to craft items usable to speed up my other character. Who will be a max Crafter/Healer/Support build. I will use The melee dude to PVP and to farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm...



With the screenshot above, What is in green is the areas I am 90% sure I have scoured for every available quest and AP Quest. What is in yellow is what I plan on knocking out tomorrow and Thursday. A majority of the quests are lower level, so its making for a quick clear of them in each town. Since most are starter towns. I have a feeling Embry Crossroads will be between 10-15mob level quests in the later questlines. So I think it will be the last town I clear out before clearing up to Linewo


I know I will be going into a lot of detail about my excitement for this game, and my previous MMO experiences. And my ideas and opinions I have about the game industry in general. So I need to ask you to be patient. I am a retarded music loving beer guzzling NERD. And I am just so fucking stoked I found a game that doesn't have elves, magic and a hurry up and grind to max level atmosphere. The best part of this game right now is watching players stumble over things, that even without handholding are possible to figure out with a little bit of forward thinking, problem solving and research on their part. This game is not spoon fed design that is WoW. And the minute it starts down that road. I am OUT. Easy and profitable games aren't as fun as this game is. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment