Monday, November 30, 2009

No Economy? lol

Back in my haydays in SWG, before the NGE, I played a second account who was a Shipwright/Arch. Not to mention lot traded with about 28-30 harv's in a static field by our city. So I had a rather generous resource income and availability. It gave me a way to find the best resources and make some of the best ship parts (specially POB, those sold like hotcakes all the time) on the server.

But none of this was possible in my mind when I first started playing that game. I never knew how to work the mechanics, and the way the stationary (25limit) Bazaar terms and unlimited (within reason) personal Bazaar terms worked.

But, once I found out and discovered a way to make money in game via the player made economy, and along with finding ways to create a steady static income from resources, money wasn't a problem.

Now, granted Fallen Earth doesn't have the deep dynamic systems that SWG had, nor does it have an established item price level like wow (since FE's is so new). But I have already started to see sales trends and found ways to pin down certain places where low cost, high gain items move like hot cakes.

I started to get the feel for it when my crafter had excess parts from grinding vehicle components for my book lists (upgrades) and for xp. But 90% of the items I used to level up from say 11 to 14 were bought from vendor, or scavenged in digg marathons while I watched movies.

Once I decided to move my crafter to New Flagstaff at 14, it seems I was able to see the benefit of two things. Everything, including the VIP vault is in once place, by the lake pretty much. Less Running around town moving stockpiles and vendor purchases. And two, S2 gives me the ability to vendor buy items I was needing to get to higher levels of crafting.

My Crafter alt is now almost 17, and hasn't quested or killed a living thing since I completed the Pass Chris ATV quest chain.

Now as for the income, playing the AH in a similar mindset as I have done before, looking for lower prices on items that sell higher etc, not to mention being able to craft items that when listed, sell within two hours almost on cue. I have been able to create a steady income for these routes to almost a 1r50b a day now. The last two days, since I have stayed on top of a majority of my sales, when I need a break from my combat toon, have seen a great increase of money potential.

I will be expanding as my crafter levels up slowly, but I still need time to flesh out how the mid level economy works. And what items move faster than others. Hopefully we will see the same percentage of product movement while all these teen leveled toons hit their twenties and need new items and supplies. I am a little worried about the trial key drop offs, but that might be a non issue, since I am not trying to cater to every single soul in the wasteland.

A few notes so far:

Fallen Earth does have an economy. I will only be able to prove this more each and every day I learn more about how this one works, and why it is DIFFERENT then your usual economy everyone that complains is used to.

Having the vendor set the lowball price on all scavenged goods is a good thing in this economy I have experienced. Besides, there are ways to manipulate this very aspect of the game to make money. Keyword here is Charisma. This vendor lowball also sets the minimum an item should be listed for (something to keep in mind also, taking into account individual component prices for the item build worth)

Impatience and the "need it now" mentality that has been drilled in players mindsets from previous MMO's will make you a ton of money. Learn what they need, then offer it for sale. Slow and steady income here if you are patient and list right.

Previous MMO's gave us addons and even in game utilities that let us track price trends on items. Time to break out the pen and paper. Things you notice you need, write down and start tracking how the price fluctuates. As you do this you will even notice players sale prices and be able to label each seller sometimes based on how an item is put up for sale. With this trend in prices from day to day, you can average the items market worth, see how that looks versus the item cost to you and set your price.

List items correctly. Most don't, and you can manipulate this sometimes to a point where you almost feel bad. IE: I list an item for 1 hour at peak play times that isn't listed at all for 4-500% your intended sale price. You could get two people list under you within that time who undercut you, but list for 48 hours. Your item expires, or you don't even have to wait for it to expire, you should have items ready to put up at a way lower price than those two listed for, but still sitting at 2-300% higher than your intended sale price. But you list for a way shorter time then they did. Your item appears as a deal to viewers, yours sell. Since there is no cancel auctions, those higher priced items sit there and set a unintended market high cap on that item for 48 hours. Lots of time to move product faster and cheaper. I have done this dance a bunch of times, watching the price slowly move down in amount, all the time, still moving way more product then the max time listers.

Be patient.

Always set a lowball price that you will not go below to list your item. I usually do a 2x vendor pricing on materials. This covers the AH listing fee and if I actually list the item that low, I am still making a size able profit for my effort.

ALWAYS have your crafting cooking something. Any time your craft cue is sitting empty, specially at night, that is potential money lost, not to mention xp. Lately I have been having my Combat and crafter cues cooking 24/7, with some downtime of course. I cant keep enough long cue items overnight and when I work. But if you try to at least keep the cue full or crafting something when you are offline/not playing that character, your mind is in the right place.

Sub component sales are a good way to build an increasing cash flow, but you won't be able to sustain yourself with the amount of time, and the amount of competitors in that market if thats all you rely on. I usually list a few ten or twenty stacks of items to hypothetically eat my AH listing fees for the day if they sell. If those components don't sell, cool, I can use them to make something that will.

Stay in HELP chat. Watch for the items being asked about in help. Even offer information on places in the region that you know they spawn in. Most of the time those locations are way out of reach in distance time alone that forces the query to the AH immediately. I do this sometimes, but most of the times I have HELP up for the general feel of what new and seasoned vocal players are looking for.


Fallen Earth isn't like other MMO's, you should know this by now Mr. No Economy Naysayer. You need to find out the limits and rules of your available economy. Find where your you cant go and what you can't do. And then take that knowledge and apply it in ways that you can move product.

This can only get more fun. Not to mention actually questing in S2 tomorrow on my Combat toon. YAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment